Thursday, February 28, 2008

My royal encounter

As a part of my job, I have to visit clients and discuss their company sites with them and my latest encounter was that with a king! Oh, yes I went to meet the king.

We got an appointment for the evening with ‘His Highness’. As it was supposed to be an important meeting everybody was pretty tensed, while as I was new, I was relatively cool and this was to be my first meeting so it hardly mattered.

On the way I was told about the kind of etiquettes expected from us eg: We were to address him as ‘His highness’, we might have to sit on the floor as he enjoy’s sitting comfortably on his cushions etc

When we reached his palace, the first thing that struck me was the beautiful place; the façade was Victorian with lush green gardens spread around. After some wait we were asked to go in. However upon entering it was a complete let down. An office desk at this end and lots of people fretting around, it resembled a government office. Lots of pictures some small some huge… some new and some historic all displayed randomly. We were a small gang and were ushered in from a side door. As others had been to the palace before they immediately removed their shoes… one of the few etiquettes!!…As we entered there was a beautiful oriental wooden partition, with ceramic surface carrying beautiful paintings of Japanese women.

As we entered to my relief we were shown a table with heavy ornate chairs to sit on, the king entered almost simultaneously, in his most casual wears like a trackpant and a loose t shirt…. For some reason His Highness seemed in a foul mood and the way he started refuting anything and everything around, it suddenly felt like we were jolted in the past.

I felt like a peasant, begging he king to waive my loan and pardon me, while the king refusing every request as he had a foul day [:D] However things got better after some running around and several attempts to improve his mood… and the king seemed to smile atlast liking what we started showing…. Whew! What a relief… Well at the end of the day, I just wish my ancestors had a better time with an imperial and thankful to god that monarchy is over and done with… Otherwise we would have landed in prison :P

1 comments:

D double ii said...

Neha!! now i know why u laugh!!