Thursday, January 24, 2008

Social Responsibility?

While at work today, was reading through few of the corporate social responsibilities that many companies undertake. Every company has been talking about it... many harping from rooftops as if they were doing something great by providing human conditions to their workers.
Reading all that I felt are these people really interested in doing their bit for the society or is it just a 'feel good' factor for them? Should I feel happy, that even though it sounds as a gimmik the corporates are still doing something for the weaker section of the society or should I be sad, that something so innate as caring for people around you, can be faked?

As an afterthought, I think it I should be happy...I remember of the construction site close to my house where on seeing these construction workers, working on high altitudes.... I said a silent prayer. The places where they stayed were dingy, cramped and with no basic amenities. Thankfully now with CSR, atleast they could look forward to better accomodations,with many even providing schooling facilities for their workers children. Some corporates are working towards schooling the low income group people children or children of people from the unorganized sections while many others have tied up with NGO's and donate funds as per the NGO requirements.

While reading through all this, I came across a company called Mind Tree and their CSR. The companies logo is said to be designed by a spastic child. They work extensively with spastic children and have also created employment opportunities for them. It touched me, to see that they are actually creating responsible, self motivated and independent citizens out of these children.

I think there is no reason to debate as far as the CSR benefits the society and our corporates should be applauded for the activities that they do! After all this is their step towards emerging as an organization with a heart in the right place!

0 comments: