Monday, August 22, 2011

August Kranti- for freedom from corruption

I never thought I would write another blog post. I never seem to have time for it nowadays... nothing interesting seems to happen around me... or worst I am too lazy to turn on my laptop.
But a man in the evening of his life, came along with a heartful of courage and an attitude full of hope, that made me sit up and take notice. Anna Hazare, a humble simpleton echoed my feelings that somehow had been buried deep inside - "I have had enough, stop this corruption"
Everytime a new scam was unearth, it seemed to prove that the politics had reached an all time low. The figures were astounding, the bashful attitude unnerving, my helplessness agitating and most of all the future worrying. But all I could do was sigh and take it as way of life. It was shameful when I had to pay a bribe to get my house registration done, but I did'nt know if there was any other way out... and then came Anna.
I am clear that Janlokpal is not a magic wand that will make corruption go away in a jiffy. Nor do I belong to the class that says Janlokpal is the only way out, but I do know two things 1) Current lokpal in its present form is at most a snake with no fangs. 2) There is a serious trust deficit when it comes to politician and there is a need to overhaul the system to ensure greater transparency and greater participation of the public.
The more I hear the political debate on news channels the more I realize that politicians today don't give a damn to me the taxpayer, who is eventually the person responsible for their salaries and perks. The arrogant exterior seems to communicate only one thing - The people who are agitating don't fall under any votebank, hence no need to listen to them.
This Sunday morning I was going about my usual day, when a friend called saying he was going to the Freedom Park. N was supportive and suggested I go alone, and he would take care of our daughter. We hurriedly caught a bus and went straight to the Freedom Park - Bangalore hub of anti-corruption agitation. I was extremely happy to see the kind of turnout. The self- motivated people had come from far-off distances braving traffic and rains. The arrangement by India against corruption was good and the people were orderly. Queues were formed without anybody asking to and the gathering sat in rapt attention to listen to the eminent speakers without being ordered so by a lathi weilding constable. It was an antithesis when compared to any political meeting. A lot of people had come in small groups, singing & slogannering as they joined the crowd at Freedom Park. The fervor caught on the moment you entered the grounds. Tricolors and gandhi caps seemed natural. A symbol of politicians suddenly seems to be the identity of a common man.
Swaratma - a Bangalore based band who has been lending their support to the movement came in to prep the mood and cheer the people who are fasting with Annaji. After the registration we went around, capturing the mood of the public and was amazed to see an old man with a walking stick, standing tall holding an anti-corruption banner. Housewives, professionals, students, ex-armymen all converged on this ground, with two things common - a strong belief in the movement and a hope to be able to do something against the unjust.
Eminent speakers like RK Mishra, lent their opinions to a cheering and attentive crowd. A freedom fighter who had been asked to speak a few words was moved by the august turnout. Sadly as I am not a Kannadiga,hence had difficulty in identifying other speakers. I was amazed at the kind of solidarity people had with the issue. Everybody had a tale to tell.
Parents wanted their children to get a taste of a people's movement, educate them about what a united country could do, many were capturing images, to be reminded for life of a movement they were part of and old people who had seen stuggles and movements earlier were exhilerated by the fact that the youth today was not selfish and ignorant as they are usually potrayed to be.

0 comments: